Road and rail transport infrastructures have always been part of the P&P Group's scope of intervention. In particular, in the operation phase of the works, P&P supports the managing body of the road infrastructure in all the activities provided for by the "Guidelines for the classification and management of risk, safety assessment and monitoring of existing bridges".
This approach primarily involves expeditious assessments such as census, inspections and classification. Subsequently, punctual assessments of greater complexity are carried out on individual artifacts, such as control, verification and monitoring activities. The activities described are necessary to guarantee the safety of the bridge and to favor a more effective management of maintenance interventions.
INSPECTION AND CENSUS
Census, inspection and investigation activities aimed at assessing safety and preparing the monitoring of existing bridges.
- Level 0: census and identification of the works and their main characteristics by collecting the information and documentation available.
- Level 1: execution of direct visual inspections and expeditious survey of the structure and of the geo-morphological and hydraulic characteristics of the area (defect cards), aimed at identifying the state of decay and the main structural and geometric characteristics of all the works, as well as potential risk conditions associated with landslides or hydrodynamic actions.
- Level 2: definition of the attention class of the works, based on the parameters of danger, vulnerability and exposure, determined by processing the results obtained from the previous levels.
Characterization of the materials making up the product and verification of the presence of any deterioration, assessment of the general state of conservation.
As part of the survey campaigns, specific analyzes may be envisaged:
- Reflectometric to evaluate the section reduction
- Position search for post tension cables
- Mapping of the reinforcement corrosion potential
- Tension release tests
DOWNLOAD THE DOSSIER
SURVEYS ON GLOBAL BEHAVIOR
Execution of functional suitability checks and tests through static load tests.
Execution of dynamic characterization investigations with environmental stress or by applying forcing with vibrodine, in order to:
- Identify the frequencies of the main modes of vibrations, the modal forms and the damping of the structure
- Make a comparison between the theoretical and real dynamic behavior of the work
- Verify the comfort of the structure against the vibrations associated with the transit of pedestrians or vehicles
EVALUATION OF THE BEARING CAPACITY AND DECLARATION OF TRANSIBILITY
Static and seismic verification of the suitability of the building, with identification of any structural deficiencies and determination of its bearing capacity.
Structural checks to define the maximum load to be applied during static and dynamic load tests.
The checks can be framed in the multilevel approach provided for by the "Guidelines for the classification and management of risk, safety assessment and monitoring of existing bridges".
- Level 3: execution of preliminary assessments designed to understand, together with the analysis of the type and extent of the failures detected in the inspections carried out at Level 1, whether it is still necessary to proceed to further investigations by carrying out accurate Level 4 checks.
- Level 4: execution of accurate assessments on the basis of what is indicated by the Technical Construction Standards in force and the definition of any measures such as the limitation of permitted loads or the restriction of use of the bridge.
Discover also the: Structural monitoring
P&P designs, manufactures and installs static and dynamic monitoring and surveillance systems equipped with specific automatic management software.